Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) Manager - Amersfoort (hybrid)
Innovative, large scale green hydrogen company
(32-40 hrs/wk – Amersfoort, partly remote)
At Hydrogen Chemistry Company (HyCC) we have a groundbreaking, inspiring approach on large scale green hydrogen production that we believe will change the world. We aim to reach decarbonization goals that thus far seemed impossible in industries like steel, chemical, and aviation. Our electrolysis plants will operate completely remote; service and maintenance are fully outsourced.
Your skills and experience come in when setting and evaluating aspects concerning health, safety, security and environment. Continuous improvement is key in your role. Join the most progressive company in the field of green hydrogen, and be part of our successes and growth.
Health, Safety, Sercurity & Environment (HSSE) Manager
Fulltime, Amersfoort / partly remote
Your challenge as Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) Manager
You supervise, monitor, advice and intervene on compliance regarding all relevant law, regulations and policies for people and process safety, environmental and health affairs, and quality assurance and control.
Through your communication and actions, a culture of firm awareness on these topics arises and will be assured on location and within the organization. Thus, you ensure the implementation, updating, review and auditing of the legal and Company HSSE Control framework and Systems
You will lead effective repression and prevention management for emergencies within the company and plants.
Initially you will participate in the development and building of the HSSE organization, culture and activities required. Also your role will be the HSSE lead in projects and includes ensuring HSSE is incorporated in several projects. From 2023 you start HSSE-standards in practice. The full spread of the role will be reached when we start to operate the first plant in 2024.
Optimizing the execution of HSSE-standards, and continuous improvement of the work processes ,will be key in all stages of your role.
You will be accountable for the development, execution, and adherence to the HyCC control framework and instilling the HSSE culture within the organization. This includes monitoring, reporting, planning of HSSE activities, training, and competences within the organization.
Within the projects, you ensure that all HSSE process, standards are completed to the right standard of the HyCC project management structure and process. You determine the HSSE organizations, governance needs and required budget.
You act with good sense of management, organization and company representation during discussion on permits, inspections and audits by authorities and other regulatory bodies. Coach the organization and develop the relationships internally and externally. Represent the interest of the company and site(s) while keeping a sustainable societal position in mind.
Taking decisions in a complex environment, under time pressure and pressure from authorities, asks for reflecting your decisions by asking feedback for critical decisions within management team and with your peers. Align and give direction in functional teams on HyCC specific developments while maintaining a mindset of standardization and harmonization.
- Ensuring the application of all safety rules, and compliance to legal and corporate regulations in the organizations and the plants.
- Assuring personnel is aware of and employing safe working practices and promoting agreed safety programs and behaviors. Lead the safety committee.
- Supports the Top Management in the HSSE Policy, guidelines issue, the organization roles and responsibilities definition, for what concerns safety aspects.
- Work closely with the permit team to ensure full compliance and adherence to permits with the appropriate authorities and regulatory bodies.
- Initially be the HSSE lead role in HyCC projects, so monitor, analyse and report HSSE performance and culture.
- Carry out assessments and analysis of accident / incident statistics, identifying trends and suggesting improvement plans.
- Risk management workshops planned and executed.
People & Organization
- Coach and develop all team members (6-10 direct reports, 6-10 indirect) and hold them accountable for delivery of results.
- Support and maintain the agreed HyCC culture, values and work processes.
- Responsible for all HR related people management tasks (absenteeism management, performance review, promotion initiatives, time-registration, hiring, etc.).
- Secures outsourcing to designated third party provider as needed and manages third party providers while on site for your field of expertise and discipline
We are a leading industrial partner for safe and reliable green hydrogen supplies and circular chemistry solutions to enable the transition to zero-carbon industry.
From making sustainable steel to circular jet fuels – we believe that green hydrogen is the key to providing a growing population with essential products, with zero emissions to realize more sustainable economic development.
HyCC is a joint venture of the European electrochemical company Nobian, that brings in technical capabilities in operating large scale electrolysis plants, and Macquarie's Green Investment Group with its project structuring capabilities. Together we have established a corporate scale-up, focused on large capital projects. Over the past years we have been developing a strong portfolio of projects which is expanding rapidly.
The organization is moving to the next phase, is growing and setting itself up for the execution of the existing projects in the pipeline, but also for future growth.
You are a proactive, flexible, and convincing self-starter. Hands on when required. You feel responsible for the result of your department, are willing to give and receive feedback in a respectful way, and look for collaboration with others, both inside and outside your department.
You are accurate, differentiate your own opinion from facts and you are looking for areas of improvement. A communicator and connector, focused on performance management and the development of your own team. Clear leadership skills: you enjoy leading a team and show active behavior in doing this.
You have an eye for detail but focus on the result and on leading others. With a coaching and subservient attitude, you are a binding factor in the organization
- BSC/MSC Degree in Science/Engineering or equivalent with additional professional qualifications in HSSE and Fire & Safety Management Systems.
- 12+ years of experience in Health, Safety and Environment and Fire Services in chemical or oil and gas industry, of which 6 years should be in a supervisory capacity, 5 years of experience in operations.
- You have worked in project design on the HSSE and compliance aspects.
- Highly skilled in Health, Safety and Environment Management Systems, Environmental Discharges, Incident Command System, Major Hazard SEVESO III/BRZO/ARIE,Incident Investigation by using Tripod Beta Tool, HSSE Auditing Techniques, HEMP, Safety studies (HAZID/HAZOP/LOPA).
- Industrial Hygiene and Gas Dispersion, Modelling, Explosion Indices and ISO 14001:2004 and OHSAS 18001.
- Advising (people management / change management experience: you have been a hierarchical manager to a team of at least 5 employees for at least 5 years in 2 jobs respectively (department).
- Work scope experience: you have been exposed to working and impacting at more than one site.
- Management team experience: you have been member of a MT.
- Languages: Dutch and English verbal and writing, German is a pre.
What we offer
HyCC offers the opportunity to be part of one of the most important changes in our society today: To help industries become emission-free. You will join a team of skilled and motivated colleagues who all share a passion to help realize green hydrogen projects to help our society reach the goal of zero emissions by 2050.
HyCC is a scale-up fully dedicated to green hydrogen and backed by two strong shareholders with strong experience in technology development and project financing. This means you will join a team which combines the energy and opportunities of a start-up culture, with the expertise and project development capabilities of a mature company.
Our employment package comprises
- Permanent contract.
- An excellent annual salary tailored to the job level.
- A hybride way of working, based on your preferences.
- Attractive bonus scheme.
- Training opportunities.
Are you eager to work at HyCC as HSE Manager?
Then we are looking forward to receiving your online application via our website. Please use the ‘apply’ link on this page and upload your CV and job specific cover letter. Any questions? Please contact Ronald van Driel, Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org (please do not use when applying).
An online assessment can be part of the selection process.
We have already chosen our sourcing channels for this recruitment and kindly ask not to be contacted by any advertisement agents, recruitment agencies or manning companies.
Gezondheid, veiligheid, beveiliging, omgeving, milieu, compliance, wetgeving, regelgeving, quality assurance and control, quality assurance and control, kwaliteitsborging, kwaliteitscontrole, Health, Safety, Environment, HSE, HSSE, Security, preventive, standards, standaarden, permits, vergunningen, toestemming, vrijwaring, inspectie, controle, audit, standardization, standaardisatie, harmonization, harmonisatie, risico, fire, vuur, risk
Groene waterstof, chemie, energie, energietransitie, H2, milieu, milieu, innovatie, carbon, koolstof, technische universiteit, TU Delft, Delft University of Technology, TU Eindhoven, Eindhoven University of Technology, TU Twente, UT University of Twente, environment, industrie, staalindustrie, steel, chemische industrie, luchtvaartindustrie, luchtvaartbranche, aviation, aviation industry, scheepvaarbranche, shipping industry, decarbonization, decarbonisatie, electrolysis, elektrolyse, continuous improvement, project, projects, projecten, sustainable, duurzaam, duurzaamheid, industrial, industrieel, start-up, startup, scale-up, scaleup, science, wetenschap, wetenschappelijk, engineering, oil, olie, gas, techniek, high-tech, hightech